If you’re about to tie the knot and are worried about the cost, relax! I’m living proof that you can arrange a beautiful, lavish-looking wedding for a fraction of the cost you might imagine. From diamond wedding bands to a magnificent gown, take it from me: all you need to do is follow a few simple cost-cutting measures to arrange the wedding of your dreams on a shoestring budget.
- The dress: Without a doubt, a custom-made wedding gown can cost a small fortune. Do what I did, and find your perfect dress in a local thrift store! After it was cleaned, I took it to my favorite seamstress for a few minor alterations. She also added some beautiful silk flowers on one side of the waist, and the dress was absolutely grand. I chose hair combs with flowers instead of a veil. If you can’t find a dress in a thrift store, ask your mom or even your grandma if you can try on hers. At the very least, choose a gown off-the-shelf from a sales rack in a bridal shop. Believe me, you’ll save a bundle!
- Diamond wedding bands: No wedding would be complete without the ideal diamond rings for you and your new hubby. Instead of poring through the selections at local jewelry stores, try shopping online. You won’t believe the bargains you can find on reputable jewelry websites. Look for special discounted rates on the rings. Many great jewelry sites offer a lifetime guarantee, free resizing, free shipping and free engraving. Most of the time, the rings will ship in just a few days. When it comes to diamond wedding bands, shopping online can definitely be the less expensive way to go!
- Tuxedos: If your groom wants tuxedos, by all means rent, don’t buy! Another option involves dark suits with matching shirts and ties for the groom, best man and ushers. My husband chose black suits with white shirts, silver-gray ties and handkerchiefs. The end result was just as formal looking as tuxedos!
- The location: Plan to hold both the wedding and the reception in the same location. You can even have the same musicians play at both the ceremony and the reception, and you can use the same flowers and decorations for both. We chose a local community center. It saved us so much money, and our guests loved the convenience of only having to drive to one location.
- Serve appetizers, not dinner: Instead of feeding your guests dinner, plan your reception for either midday or afternoon and serve only appetizers. Since cake definitely qualifies as dessert, you can even skip the sweets and serve your wedding cake instead.
- Make your own favors: If you’re a little bit crafty, you can save a ton of money by making your own favors and simple centerpieces. Have a pizza party with some girlfriends and get them to help. Ask permission to decorate your wedding location ahead of time, and do it yourself with the help of family and friends.
- Choose seasonal flowers: Here’s another area where you can really save some money. First of all, have some reasonable expectations about your flower selection. If you choose the most expensive flowers that are out of season, you’ll pay a fortune. Choose from those that are in season, and select a more reasonably priced flower. We had carnations at our ceremony, but because they were in season and relatively inexpensive, we could afford to have them stem-dyed to match our wedding colors. The end result was spectacular!
Your special day doesn’t have to cost you a fortune. You can have a magnificent, memorable wedding day for a fraction of what you think it might cost. Every detail can still be perfect – from diamond wedding bands to specially dyed flowers. Taking just a few financial shortcuts along the way will make your wedding both lavish and affordable.